Who are we?
Our mission is to increase food security through food distribution, education and collaboration. To achieve this, we distribute over 2 million kilograms of donated food to our member network of 141 food banks and meal programs across the province. Our role also extends beyond food. We support our members as they build capacity to serve their communities, and we help raise awareness of the challenges hunger and poverty create each day for thousands of Nova Scotians. Working at Feed Nova Scotia is an opportunity to give back to your community, and make a difference in people’s lives. If you are a positive, dedicated, team-oriented person who is prepared to work hard, work fast, and work safely, then we want to hear from you!
What is a Food Recovery Distributor?
As a Food Recovery Distributor, you are an ambassador of Feed Nova Scotia, building and maintaining positive relationships with food donors and our member agencies. Each day, you load your truck with a selection of food items from the warehouse before moving on to collect prepared foods from a number of donors, which are then delivered to our member agencies along your route the same day. You will become deeply familiar with the roles and needs of the agencies along your route, supporting them with care, respect and discretion. This job is a permanent, full time position, working from 7:30am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday.
What does a Food Recovery Distributor do?
▪ Ensures timely pickups and same day deliveries while providing excellent, respectful customer service to donors and agencies alike
▪ Inspects and sorts food according to provincial food safety guidelines
▪ Manages food inventory closely to ensure fair and equitable distribution to agencies
▪ Enters inventory data quickly and accurately into Warehouse Management System using a tablet or mobile phone
▪ Treats member agency staff and clients with respect and dignity
▪ Flexible and comfortable managing ad hoc tasks in a timely and efficient manner
▪ Maintains accurate driving logs when required
▪ Maintains vehicle in a serviceable, clean and sanitary condition at all times
▪ Consistently performs repetitive heavy lifting and meets timelines in a fast paced and physically demanding environment
▪ Stands in for other distributors, and assists in warehouse when required
What are we looking for?
▪ Class 3 driver’s license, with air brakes preferred
▪ Minimum Class 5 driver’s license in good standing
▪ 5 years driving experience; experience driving large vehicles (3-5 ton) preferred
▪ Current acceptable drivers abstract
▪ Ability to consistently lift up to 25 kilograms, unassisted
▪ Safety conscious people person who enjoys working in a fast-paced, team environment
▪ Forklift operator’s license or willingness to obtain one is required
▪ Familiar with HRM roadways; this route can have up to 30 stops in a day
Our total compensation package includes a highly competitive salary, paid vacation time, a health and dental plan (after 3 months) and an employer contributed group RRSP (after 6 months).
If you are looking for an outstanding opportunity to make an impact in your community, please submit a cover letter and resume that clearly indicate how you meet the requirements of this position, in a PDF document to: email@example.com by 10:00 pm on Sun, Jun 21, 2020.
Please include Food Distributor in the subject line.
Feed Nova Scotia welcomes all qualified candidates to apply. If you require any accommodations to submit your application successfully, please contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 902-417-1685.
We thank you for your interest in employment with Feed Nova Scotia, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Employment offer is conditional upon receipt of a satisfactory criminal record check and driver’s abstract.